TIV PROFESSIONALS WARN ABOUT RECENT HAPPENINGS IN BENUE STATE
Benue State has been in the news since the Governor Samuel Ortom decamped from APC to PDP, his decampment finally put the stories to rest as the governor claimed that the youths of Benue State forced him to leave his party. However, in a twist of events, 12 APC lawmakers in the state has served Gov Ortom an impeachment notice. And in the wake of that, about 22 lawmakers who ares still loyal to the governor have said that there is no cause for alarm, as they were still the majority and so could dispel the impeachment process.
A group of Tiv professionals in Benue State known as TPG, have lent their voices to all the political happenings in Benue State and the attending consequences if not handled properly. This they did through a press conference, find the details below.
TEXT OF A PRESS CONFERENCE ISSUED BY TIV PROFESSIONALS GROUP (TPG), IN REACTION TO THE RECENT POLITICAL ACTIVITIES IN BENUE STATE AND THEIR ENSUING CONSEQUENCES, IN MAKURDI ON JULY 30, 2018.
Ladies and Gentlemen of the press; and dear citizens of Benue State.
In the past two months, we have observed the spate of fast moving political activities in Benue State by our political office holders at both the State and National levels leading to political realignments, defections and the purported impeachments at the Benue State House of Assembly; and the purported notice of impeachment on the Governor by a section of the Benue State House of Assembly.
2. We are concerned by the eventual political consequences of these actions and counter actions on the citizens of Benue State, who have already been severely brutalized and traumatized by recent unprovoked attacks by Fulani Militia, masquerading as herdsmen.
3. These unfortunate events are also coming immediately after our people have been killed in their thousands and displaced from their ancestral lands which, are currently under illegal occupation by these attacking Fulani Militia.
4. We are aware of the Fulani strategic interests in Benue aimed at dividing and taking over our ancestral lands; and would want to appeal to our politicians not to play into these interests for whatever reasons.
5. We are also aware of the rights of political individuals and institutions to take actions in their jurisdictions and spheres of influence. We however call on all our political office holders and actors to weigh their political actions and activities and ensure they are within the rule of law, so as not to bring more chaos in the State. As a group, we will not support nor encourage Benue people to support anyone who elects to take political action outside the law; especially if such actions will endanger our people and lead to bloodshed.
6. This is a time we must as a people bind together to ensure the interests of our people are protected in our next steps. We call on our Traditional Rulers, Religious Leaders and other Stakeholders to rise up to the occasion and call our politicians to order at this critical time.
Professor Zacharys Anger Gundu
Chairman, TPG Makurdi,
July 30, 2018
What do you think of this facts presented by TPG?