Big Relief As Nigerian Labour Calls Off Strike At The Eleventh Hour
The NLC which had been at the forefront of the struggle for an increased minimum wage foe the Nigerian civil service workers, through its Tripartite negotiating team, has called off the scheduled November 6th nationwide strike action very late Monday night.
“The tripartite negotiating committee, as rightly put by the chairperson, has, this period, concluded its assignment; agreements have been reached, and also documents have been signed,” Wabba said. “The report will be submitted to Mr. President tomorrow by 4:15pm. Therefore, organised labour, we want to use this medium to thank all the tripartite partners for their understanding, and importantly for concluding this important national assignment.”
“And having reached this position, and also the fact that the assignment has been concluded, the organised labour also decided that the proposed strike action is hereby suspended.”
The industrial action was to being at 12am on Tuesday in the final lap of its agitation for the raising of the national minimum wage from N18,000 to N30,000. Before Wabba made the announcement of the cancellation of the strike action few minutes before it was meant to kick off. And this was because the second leg of the marathon meeting of the tripartite committee constituted by the Federal Government eventually agreed on a new N30,000 national minimum wage.
Neither party disclosed to the media exactly what agreement had been reached.
It would be recalled that after the last meeting between the Federal Government and the Tripartite committee, which ended in a deadlock, the Minister of Labour Dr Chris Ngige, had told the media that a family of four can comfortably feed on a minimum wage of N22,500. Needless to say Ngige’s statement attracted a lot of tongue lash from Nigerians.
What do you think of this new agreed minimum wage?